I needed something quick and easy for lunch today so I made this delicious chickpea sandwich with sun-dried tomatoe mayonnaise piled with my favorite toppings. Chickpeas are gold to a plant-based diet. They are loaded with protein and fiber, and they are low in fat. They are also very versatile and you can use them in soups, stews, salads and sandwiches. They couldn’t have tasted more lovely paired with the sun-dried tomato mayonnaise.
A few months ago I bought an inexpensive mandoline and I now use it all the time. There is something extra yummy about veggies that have been thinly sliced by a mandoline. If you are not familiar with this kitchen utensil, it works like a grater in that you move the food over a shredding or cutting surface, but it is much more precise. It creates lovely thin slices of tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onions etc. When these thin slices of vegetables are layered on a sandich, it makes the sandwich easier to eat and extra juicy. One word of caution, when slicing with a mandoline, always use the hand guard that comes with it to hold down the vegetables otherwise you may cut yourself. Hope you enjoy this easy vegan plant-based recipe as much as I did. If you like this easy vegan sandwich, you might also enjoy this “no bones baby jackfruit barbecue sandwich.” Recipe here
- 14-ounce carton chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (either packed in oil and rinsed or dried tomatoes that have been soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes until soft)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonaisse
- pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- spinkle of fresh red chili flakes (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the chickpeas in a food processor and process until smooth. Add more vegetable broth if needed.
- Add the chickpeas and process another 10-15 seconds. The chickpeas should still be lumpy, but somewhat mashed up.
- Stir to combine sun-dried tomato mixture and chickpeas.
- Toast your favorite vegan bread. Spread with the sun-dried tomato chickpea spread.
- Top with lettuce, sliced cucumber, avocado or your favorite sandwich toppings.
- Add extra vegan mayonaisse if desired.